Saturday 15 April 2017

Early Spring

Last Saturday morning, my family and I took a long awaited trip to our local nature reserve: Willington Gravel Pits. I haven't been out much due to lots of school work but with it being an extremely sunny morning I couldn't resist.  I took this opportunity to take my Opticron Natura BGA ED binoculars and MM3 60 ED scope, I haven't used the scope much this year, so I thought it would be a good chance to use it.

We stopped at each of the hides to see the usual species: Mallards, Canada Geese, Black Headed Gulls and Cormorants. It was also really nice to see a pair of Teal and a male and female Reed Bunting just a few meters away, the Reed Buntings swinging on the reeds in the soft breeze and sunshine really created a beautiful scene.

We saw Brimstone and Orange Tip butterflies and lots of Bees buzzing around - at last Spring is here!  We heard plenty of Warblers, such as Chiffchaff, Willow Warblers and Cetti's Warblers, another sign of Spring! However we didn'ts see any Hirundines, but it is still fairly early, so we will have to visit again in a couple of weeks when they are more likely to be there!

No comments:

Post a Comment